Serial Numbers and Product Dating
Use the charts here to easily cross-reference Jackson serial numbers with product dates and manufacturing facility locations. Note that these charts contain information only on U.S.-made Jackson instruments.
Serial Numbers for Bolt-On Neck Models
Note that serial numbers are stamped into the neck plates on bolt-on-neck Jackson models.
|Serial Number Chart for Bolt-On-Neck Models
On Bolt-On-Neck models, the serial number is
stamped into the neck plate.
|Year & Factory||Jackson Custom Shop Bolt On*||Jackson Junior**||Jackson USA Bolt On|
|1986 San Dimas||1001-1505|
1. From 1987 to 1989, Jackson Custom Shop bolt-on-neck guitars were not assembled in strictly sequential serial number order. Due to a stamping machine error, for example, serial numbers 5234 to 5999 do not exist; these neck plates say “Jackson, 4452 Airport Drive Ontario, CA 91761.”
2. The serial numbers of Jackson Junior (JJ) guitars—the only Jackson bolt-on-neck models without neck plates—are stamped into the fingerboard.
3. Four-digit Jackson neck plates were reserved only for custom instruments in spring 1990. All production bolt-on-neck instruments were given six-digit USA series neck plates.
Serial Numbers for Neck-Through-Body Models
Note that serial numbers are stamped into the fingerboard at the last fret on neck-through-body Jackson models.
|Serial Number Chart for Neck-Thru-Body Models
On Neck-Thru-Body models, the serial number
is stamped into the fingerboard at the last fret.
|Year & Factory||Randy Rhoads Neck-thru body||Other Custom Neck-thru's||Jackson Archtop||Jackson USA Neck-thru|
|1982 San Dimas||RR 0000 (Mrs. Rhoads)|
|1983 San Dimas||RR0001-RR0294||J0001-J0034|
|1984 San Dimas||RR0295-RR0996||J0035-J0406|
|1985 San Dimas||RR0997-RR1754||J0407-J1539|
|1986 San Dimas||RR1755-RR1929||J1540-J2799||JA0001-JA0011|
|1995 Ontario||RR2745-RR2756||J6172-J6238||End of Series||UO2942-UO3211|
|1996 Ontario||RR2757-RR2784||J6239-J6300||None Produced||UO3212-UO4005|
|1997 Ontario||RR2785-RR2801||J6301-J6379||None Produced||UO4006-UO5247|
|1998 Ontario||RR2802-RR2823||J6380-J6444||None Produced||UO5248-UO6904|
1. All Randy Rhoads neck-through-body guitars were given “RR****” serial numbers from 1983 to spring 1990. After that, only custom Rhoads guitars bore “RR****” serial numbers; production Rhoads guitars were considered “USA” models and given “U0****” serial numbers.
2. Neck-through-body guitars that weren’t Randy Rhoads models were given “J****” serial numbers, including Soloist™, King V™, Kelly™, Concert Bass and other models. After spring 1990, only custom neck-through-body models were given “J” serial numbers; production Soloist, Kelly and King V models, etc., were also considered “USA” models and given “U0****” serial numbers. There are exceptions to this rule—production neck-through-body models from the 1990s can sometimes be found with “J” or “RR” serial numbers instead of “U” serial numbers; these typically identify an instrument as a Jackson Custom Shop prototype of some kind. Also, a few Rhoads guitars were mistakenly released with “J” rather than “RR” serial numbers.